Makes 3 servings
- 120 g tin sardines in extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g Japanese sushi rice / short grain rice
- 5 g sugar
- 25 ml vinegar
- 4 sheets Japanese dried seaweed wrap
- ¼ carrot, sliced
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- Prepare rice according to packaging.
- Cut the carrots and cucumber into 10cm strips.
- Drain the sardines and cut them into lengthwise. Make 8 to 10 strips.
- Mix sugar and vinegar then stir into the hot rice.
- Using a sushi mat, spread thinly 4 tablespoons of rice on a seaweed wrap.
- Place sardine, carrot and cucumber on the centre.
- Form the sushi roll using the sushi mat. Seal the ends with some rice.
- Cut into 3 cm rounds with a wet knife.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used.