Makes 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 425 g sardines in tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut sugar
- 2 calamansi limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cucumbers, cut into slices
- 12 slices wholemeal bread
- Cucumber and fresh tomatoes
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Sauté onions and chilli for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the sardines and fish sauce. Mash the ingredients together while cooking.
- Balance the flavour with sugar and cook until reduced.
- Remove from heat. Let cool slightly, then stir in the lime juice.
- Spread the sardine mix on toasted wholemeal bread between thin slices of cucumber and fresh tomatoes.